Combine a San Francisco City Tour and guided visit to Alcatraz for the ultimate introduction to San Francisco! You'll enjoy the beauty and attractions of everyone's favorite city, in addition to a scenic ferry ride to Alcatraz Island for an audio walking tour.
Top 10 things to do in San Francisco
This city is an ultimate spot to spend a few days, winter or summer – the weather is nice and the sights are even nicer! What’s also great about SF is its size – it’s small but rich with attractions so you can catch them all! Here are our top 10 things to do in SF…
What are the 10 top things to do in San Francisco?
- Fisherman’s Wharf: Besides hosting Pier 39, this neighborhood also is home for the Ghirardelli Square, and the fascinating Musée Mécanique – a vintage arcade.
- Golden Gate Bridge: Made famous in numerous movies and TV Shows, this magnificent bridge is an exciting sight to behold! If you don’t get to actually cross it, catch a good view of it and photograph it for the next generations to see!
- Alcatraz Island: A thrilling tour into one of the world’s most known prisons, keep in mind that tickets need to be reserved months in advance if you want to guarantee yourself a good spot on the Alcatraz cruise.
- Chinatown: SF’s Asian population is quite significant and this respectable Chinatown shows it proudly! Head out there for a great meal and fun shopping!
- Pier 39: Home for shops, restaurants, a great deck and the highlight – groups of enormous seals that took over one of the rafts near the Pier – you got to see those lovelies to believe it!
- Jump on a cable car: The city is famous for their historic cable car system, take it or leave it but you can’t ignore its unique nature…
- Visit Little Italy: Amazing Italian eateries in are surrounding a beautiful park, worth to devote some time to.
- Twin peaks: 900 meters tall – those natural peaks rise above the city and provide unbelievable views of the city bay.
- Visit the Castro district: The most colorful spot in the city! The heart of the LGBQT pride in this LGBQT-friendly town. Visit Harvey Milk’s shop and tiny museum in the Castro district – a very moving experience for everyone that cares about human rights.
- Wander around Haight and Ashbury: Get in tune with your hippie self and head out to the streets once known for artists like Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead. Today the area is filled with specialty stores, voodoo related items and the famous Amoeba record store. Don’t miss out on the beautiful Victorian houses called the “Painted Ladies”!
Ten top things to do in San Fran are not nearly enough for you? Check the rest of our video travel guides about this unique California city and plan the perfect vacation in the “City by the Bay”.
Stroll into San Francisco’s amazing California Academy of Sciences with this early-access admission ticket. For one low price — a Viator Exclusive available nowhere else — skip the lines and enjoy entry one hour earlier than the general public, a privilege normally reserved for annual members of the Academy. Then wander about the aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum and 4-story rainforest, all under one roof. With so much to explore, you’ll appreciate the crowd-free hour of checking out all there is to see at your own pace.
Take time out for a day trip into the wild beauty of Yosemite National Park from San Francisco. You'll spend 5-6 hours inside the park with a combination of guided hikes, breathtaking vistas and free-time to explore on your own. Enjoy the beautiful countryside and discover the raw beauty of California's most famous national park.
Contrast the brutal austerity of Alcatraz with the sheer beauty of Muir Woods and Sausalito on this enthralling day trip from San Francisco. It's a whole day of contrasts: from catching the ferry to Alcatraz Island and driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, to walking through a forest of giant redwoods and relaxing in the picturesque village of Sausalito.
Wine taste your way through Napa and Sonoma on this day trip from San Francisco. Enjoy a comfortable, picturesque drive by luxury coach to wine country to visit several wineries for guided tours and tastings. Walk through beautiful vineyards, explore the winemaking facilities, and learn about the history of winemaking from your guide as you sip fine wine. Stop in Yountville to enjoy lunch and browse specialty shops at your leisure and expense. This comprehensive wine tour is the most relaxing way to experience California wine country, and all tastings are included!